Overview of Activity
Students completing this activity will learn about digital images and how satellites orbiting Earth send information and pictures to us over the Internet.
Ages 10 and up
* Digital camera or Scanner and attached computer
* Rectangular graph paper and colored markers or crayons
* An encrypted digital image of Sun in X-Rays from the Yohkoh satellite
* Hand Out for Team 1, Hand Out for Team 2, Hand Out for Team 3, Hand Out for Team 4 (print in portrait mode)
* OPTIONAL: spreadsheet program, image processing software, internet connection
Pre-requisite Knowledge Needed
Bringing Images from Space to Earth : An educational website from NASA's Deep Space Network which explores the techniques of obtaining digital images from spacecraft.
Learning without Touching : Explains what "remote sensing" means and what we can learn from satellites in space.